Tina got me yearning to make pants again. I was determined to get the whole "crotch curve" mystery figured out once and for all. I actually did a real good job this time with the crotch, but I forgot everything else!
I forgot to put the darts in the front that I WAS going to put in when I fitted them, but forgot. So when I put the pants on to fit them, the waist was way too big -- of course -- so I took the pants in on both side seams but NOT until I totally removed the beautiful SFD pockets all sewn into the front. They had to be redrafted and put back into the pant front.
They looked totally awesome and perfect after I got them all put back in UNTIL I decided to see how close I had gotten them to the front waist darts. That is when I discovered there WEREN'T any. There was still enough room in the waist to add them, so I did. They aren't right next to the pockets like Glenda illustrated, but they are in line with the front creases, so they will suffice!
I also forgot that you have to make the pattern smaller if you are going to use stretch fabric. Remember the jeans I made with stretch denim? I can pull them off and on without unzipping them.
I didn't even think about the fabric being stretchy -- and didn't think it was. It was just a real pretty piece I found in my stash. I sat down to sew the pants, and -- as always -- checked to see what needle was in the machine. It was a stretch needle. I thought, "I don't need a stretch needle", so I removed it. I started looking around for another needle, when my lightning fast mind decided to try to stretch my fabric -- just in case. What a surprise it was to find out that it has quite a bit of stretch in it. It is a stretch cotton, I guess. I put the stretch needle back in.
I tried to make the pant legs narrower because that is the style now, but I was quite confused as to how to do that. One direction said to taper from the hem up to the hip. Another said to use smaller dots. I wasn't sure what to do. Whatever I did, I wish I had done more of it.