Friday, December 21, 2012

The BEST of times, the WORST of times.

Today was an emotional rollercoaster for me.  You just never know what is going to happen totally out of the blue when you LEAST expect it.  If you have followed my blog for very long, you know that our children don't claim us.  Haven't heard from either one of them in over a year, and haven't seen one for five years.  I would think we were the world's most awful parents except that I hear the same story over and over from so many people.

About 2:00 -- after I had gotten home from my free lunch with Phylly -- I received a text from my granddaughter.  It said, "Mom has left Christmas presents on your front porch."

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.  That was very shocking and surprising and wonderous, in that it made me wonder what was up.  I took it to be a peace offering, so I texted back for her to tell her Mom to come back because I wanted to see her.  In five minutes, my daughter was IN MY ARMS for a long, satisfying hug.  She looked so beautiful today.  I couldn't get over how pretty she is.  Her hair has grown out a lot.  She had on the prettiest chandelier pearl earrings and a pearl necklace.  She was wearing a pretty bulky sweater and black jeans with boots.  She looked so pretty! 

I was so thrilled to see her, I didn't even open the presents she had left.  I forgot all about them.  We talked for almost two hours.  It got pretty rough a few times, and when she left it wasn't on good terms.  All that back-crap got tossed around, and it just causes hurt.   I remember it all one way -- she remembers it all another way.  I was heartsick when she left -- wondering again -- but this time I wondered how much time would go by before I heard from her again.  I immediately started praying, as I always do.  God can do anything.  I can do nothing.  God heard me real fast today because in just a short while she called me, and she was happy and apologetic and said she loved me, and we would stay in touch.  THANK YOU, GOD!

The worst of the day is what all she told me about my grandson.  He has been in and out of trouble a lot in the last few years, and we are so worried about him.  I think it was yesterday, he was beaten badly with the butt of a gun over a drug deal gone bad -- or something along those lines -- don't care to know details -- and his parents have had to leave him on his own.  They have helped over and over, as parents do, but it has come time to turn him over to God, and let him pay the consequences of his actions.  Meanwhile, Jerry and I pray daily for God's supernatural protection and DIVINE guidance.  This is a brilliant child with great promise, but he has gotten mixed up with the wrong people.  I'm so glad my God is bigger than all of that! 

Jerry and I received $130 gift card to Longhorn.  It is a real nice steak restaurant that we like to go to.  Jerry and I went there last night with friends who also had a gift card.  KNOWING we had the gift card, I ordered the most expensive steak, a bottle of wine and dessert -- which I shared with all 4 at the table for my DESM diet -- and I greatly enjoyed every bite.  That's it on the right.  Some kind of apple/cinnamon creation.  However, when it came time to pay, Jerry somehow forgot about the gift card and paid with our credit card.

SOOOOOOO, I decided to take Phylly to Longhorn for lunch today so I could use the gift card or, at least, part of it.  Our waiter wasn't the brightest penny-in-the-pack if you get my drift.  We waited over 45 minutes for our lunch to be served.  Phylly had come from work, and she only has an hour -- although I do own the company, and she does get special compensation when with me, but .....  I don't want to take too much advantage of that.  She does have a boss at the store who expects her to be there.

At some point, a guy came to our table and asked how everything was.  I simply stated that it was very good, but it took over 45 minutes to get it.  He said he was sorry, and he disappeared.  A little bit later he came back, and he started saying something to Phylly.  I couldn't understand everything he said, but then he turned to me and started apologizing to me.  I explained about her job, and said the food was good.  He left.  A little bit later our waiter -- Paul -- returned.  I asked for our bill.  He informed me that both meals had been comped.  (I hear you laughing, Margaret!)  I guess the other guy had said that, but I didn't catch it.  ANYHOW, I still have the $130 gift card!  I may have to eat there every day until I go back home to Kingston.

Yesterday was our company lunch.  I got to sit next to the best Store Manager in the world, Lu.  She is beautiful and an awesome employee.  She has gorgeous waist-length red hair you can't see in this picture.

We love her, as you can see!

She and her husband just lost  a son in a tragic automobile accident a few weeks ago.  I don't know how she could muster up a smile for me.















The food was awesome as you can see in the picture I had Paula pose for.  She is another treasured long-time employee.  I think that was Jambalaya Pasta.  It was a great time, and the cheesecake BOOK menu was really something.  Every kind of cheesecake you can imagine.  Most got theirs to go.  Jerry and I split one for my DESM diet.  YUMMO!

Better go.  We are watching a series called Jericho now.  Jerry has probably fallen asleep waiting for me.  He just asked me a little while ago what I wanted for Christmas.  I told him I already had everything I wanted.  Then he got an email about that laptop I dropped -- remember it? -- and they want $350 to repair it.  I told him THAT would be my Christmas present.  He accepted the offer.

Until soon.

Hugs, Joy

2 comments:

  1. Joy, I am so happy to hear of the healing with your daughter. We have a daughter who has been estranged from the entire family (drugs and men) for almost year. We too pray for God to heal this family. I have a hard time letting it be His will - not mine - 'cause I want it RIGHT now. I will place your grandson in my prayers with my daughter.

    Love and Blessings,

    Debora - NM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you got to talk with Tammy! I pray that you would be able to mend the broken hearts that you each have for each other.

    We got home about 4:00 today and I was really glad when my SIL picked up the kids. I need some quiet time. I think I'll sit here and knit and watch a Craftsy class.

    Hugs, Phylly

    ReplyDelete

TO COMMENT: Scroll down a bit and find the word "comments". It may have a number in front of it. Click on it, and you will be able to leave a somment. I realize you have to choose Google, Facebook or Anonymous or ? to post a comment. If you choose "Anonymous", you will be able to post a comment, but please leave your first name in your comment so I know you aren't a machine.

I do enjoy receiving comments, especially, when they are to answer my questions!

Hugs, Joy