Thursday, May 30, 2013

Hello on Thursday -- Just Talkin'

Yes, it's me!  I have a moment to remember that I have a blog.  I have been SO BUSY -- not SEW busy -- lately at our store, Family Medical Supply.  One reason I try NOT to go to our store unless I have to is because of the things I find that require more of my attention.

Ignorance really is BLISS, you know.

I have found several things that require my immediate attention since returning to work to hire two new people.  It seems the two old people left quite a bit of unfinished business -- and in one case -- "not done at all" business!

It turns out that it is really a GOOD thing that the two who left, left.  Sometimes, change is good.

We own 60 boat and RV storage units about 10 miles from our house here.  My husband bought them from a friend of ours years ago, and that friend died in an accident shortly after we purchased them.  Jerry thought they would be a good investment.  Jerry assured me it would "run itself".  Riiiiiiiiiiight!  It runs itself via Joy-power. 

The name of the business is "Affordable Boat & RV Storage", named after a store I used to buy framed pictures from called" Affordable Art and Frame".  I decided it would be a good "A" name so we would be first in the directory.  If you were to -- for some insane reason -- want to rent a unit from us, you would call a number in the phone directory under "Affordable Boat & RV Storage".  When your call was answered, the girl on the other end would say "Family Medical Supply, This is Candi (or Gracie, or ...)".



So how nutty is that!?

If you decided to actually GO TO Affordable Boat & RV Storage -- instead of calling -- you would not find a soul there.  There is an electric gate that you could not get through, and nobody to talk to. 

Howeven nuttier is that!?

The thing is, our friend told us he would help us rent the units because he still owned a business right next door to it.  The only problem with that is, he is dead!

ANYWAY -- I think I had a point there SOMEwhere.  Oh, yes.  The girl that left to have a baby was in charge of AB&RV Storage.  She had a VERY hard time learning this part of her job.  I have gathered up all the files and information and contracts and have gone over them with a fine-tooth comb.  AS USUAL, I am finding all kinds of issues that need to be addressed. 

Things like:

 Locks on buildings, but nothing inside the building.

 Automatic invoicing in the computer for the last 3 years to people who moved out 3 years ago.

Open invoices for over $8,000.  Just a quick glance showed me $2500 of it that I KNOW was paid off years ago.

Buildings that have NO lock, but the long-lost renter left their junk inside.  One has a dishwasher in it.  One has a bunch of old desks in it.

I'm sure you get the gist of this whole scenario by now, so you understand what I am doing all day long so I can't sew very much right now.

That is what I've been TRYING to tell you.

I haven't had time to sew or take pictures. 

Besides AB&RV Storage, I have Family Medical Supply tasks to correct and then teach.  I have the GIGANTIC Policy and Procedure Manual that has to be kept up to date along with half a dozen other logs and books.

Thought I better explain my short absence and assure you I will be back as soon as possible.  A weekend is coming up.  I just may get that new blouse ironed and photographed.  OR, maybe I will wear it to work tomorrow, and I can get a picture that way.  We shall see.

Until soon.

Hugs, Joy

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmm....doesn't sound like a great way to run a business. No wonder I didn't hear much from you this week. I was feeling neglected. You have been really busy. Neither one of us have gotten much sewing done this week.

    Did I tell you I managed to get a top with sleeves out of the scraps from my pants? At least it is cut out. I thought I'd finish it yesterday, but I had Justin ALL weekend. Hopefully, he and Momma will go home tonight. They didn't have any electricity so they have been with us since the storms Friday night.
    Hugs, Phylly

    ReplyDelete

TO COMMENT: Scroll down a bit and find the word "comments". It may have a number in front of it. Click on it, and you will be able to leave a somment. I realize you have to choose Google, Facebook or Anonymous or ? to post a comment. If you choose "Anonymous", you will be able to post a comment, but please leave your first name in your comment so I know you aren't a machine.

I do enjoy receiving comments, especially, when they are to answer my questions!

Hugs, Joy