Wednesday, February 24, 2016

I Copied a New McCall's M7358 Spring Pattern

It is a nice sunny Wednesday afternoon here in Edmond, OK.  I am enjoying my new laptop very much.  The keyboard is wonderful!  The keys are flat, and I thought I would have problems adjusting to them, but I can FLY on this thing!

I made a new video of my latest SFD copy.  It is a new McCall's pattern, M7358.  So new, it isn't even in the stores yet.  I had to try to figure out the facings and finishing from the pictures I show you in this video and hereinbelow.   (I just made that word up, I guess, since spell check says it does not exist.)

It is so much fun to make up new designs with the SFD kits.  When you get a basic pattern to FIT YOU, you can slice it up -- add seam allowances, darts, pleats, gathers -- put it back together -- and it STILL FITS!

This blue blouse has NO DARTS.  I put the bust dart into the front yoke as gathers.  I think my yokes are a little higher than the pattern, but I can't tell for sure.  I don't intend to walk around holding these pictures of the original up in front of me.
I wasn't sure how to figure out how much to gather the back.  I think I added four inches.
I am FIGHTING the urge to go to Hancock's to buy some blue denim that matches the blouse.  I know I have some at my other house.  I'm making myself be still in this chair while I talk to you instead.

AND, my friend Deb just finished her first Fast N Fun knit top like the four I made a few weeks ago.  Terry is making one today also.  Hopefully, I can get pics of both for you.  Wait!  I might have one of Deb's top....

It isn't completely done in this pic, and it looks MUCH BETTER on her, but you will get the idea:

SOMEBODY is talking to Jerry on the phone -- finally -- and they are trying to get his boat connected to its other belongings which have not arrived yet.  UGH!  They are hoping to have it all done Friday, so maybe we can go back home on Saturday.

I MISS TERRY!!!!

We have quilts that need to be quilted, and talking that needs to be talked, and laughter that needs to be laughed!!!


I will see Margaret tomorrow for lunch.  That will get me by, although Margaret doesn't quilt, and she has no interest in learning.  When you are as pretty as she is, you don't need to know how to sew!

'Til Soon --
Hugs,
Joy

14 comments:

  1. Joy, I have a couple of suggestions for you------I like it belted. If you look at the pattern, I see the fullness mostly only at the yoke. The back and hip don't have that much fullness. I think that's why you don't like the look of the belt--it has too much work to do. Have you ever tried an inside casing on the back (only)? You can make a thin back of the belt from elastic and attach your self fabric on both ends. You would make openings in the side seam where the loop would normally go and pop the belt out there. That might make the slant less noticeable to you since the belt wouldn't show on the back, only on the front. Let us know what you decide to do..
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, IN THE BACK the elastic would be up against my body -- but not the blouse? Is that right? Wouldn't the back look like a cape? I will pin my fake belt to each side seam tomorrow and try tying it just around the front.
      Thanks for the tip!
      Hugs, Joy

      Delete
    2. No, you sew a strip of cloth inside the back against the blouse fabric and run the belt through the tunnel this creates. The casing would end at the side seams and you would make an opening in the side seam and run the encased belt through the openings and tie it in the front. The back would be held against your body because the casing is attached to the blouse. Your blouse had so much fabric you might have to make darts and use the casing for a more graceful line. Barbara

      Delete
  2. Hi Joy, I agree with Barbara, or maybe make a casing in the back and insert the elastic just from SS to SS. Attach the belt to the SS's That too, would be less noticeable in the back. Btw, I live in Prescott, AZ. There are still camps her for kids. A friend of mine at the ASG has been teaching sewing at one of the camps for years... I just love Prescott.
    And I heard you guys had some earthquakes the other night, are you, family and your homes ok? I just bought the SFD dress package. Will be starting with it on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Anne. FIVE earthquakes yesterday. It sounds like someone hits the window, and my chair rumbles. It is absurd for Oklahoma.
      Thanks for the tips, and I'm so excited you got the Dress Kit! Get ready for great fit.
      Hugs, Joy

      Delete
  3. It is too short and probably needs fisheye darts in both front and back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too thought it was too much ease & also agree with the post about it being too short. I think some added length would keep it from standing out from your body at the hem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the fabric but at this point why don't you just get more of the same and make a pair of pajama bottoms and sleep in it. I'm not trying to be mean but it would be an idea to consider. I really enjoy all your videos.
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  6. your blouse looks so much better in the back now
    you look so good in your blouses
    i love the fabrics you choose


    the people who make mean comments to you do not have God in their lives
    cindy k.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Joy, I have been watching your YouTube blogs and have just enjoyed every one of them. So for the last few days I have been thinking of sending you a message but reaching out to people I have never met is a little stranger to me but then I thought oh what the heck. I am following along with this 100 block quilt along called "The Splendid Sampler" put on by Pat Sloan and Jane Davidson and each time we get a new block I can't help but think "what would Joy and Terry do?" you two together are just a hoot so if you are searching for a new quilt to do I am sure seeing what the both of you would do would be so fun to watch. It just started Feb 14th with thousands of people from around the would.
    Thanks for listening and keep up the great YouTubes.
    Veronica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Veronica,
      Very interesting. I'll have to google that and see if I can find out about it. We each just made picture quilts, as you probably know from our videos. I have owls to quilt and Edyta Sitar's quilt to quilt, and the Valentine quilt to quilt. Haven't thought about what is next. Thanks so much for commenting. I'm going to look it up now.
      Hugs, Joy

      Delete
    2. Okay! I found it. It looks like tons of fun. It is going to be a GIGANTIC quilt with 100 blocks in it. I don't know if I'll join, but I sure will keep watching.
      Hugs, Joy

      Delete
    3. Hi Joy,
      I do hope you join but if not I am just glad I had the courage to mention it and now it is out of my head. Yes, 100 blocks just sounds crazy but the group is awesome with everyone at various stages and such great supportive people. I have sewn clothes, (but now with my many more curvy bits nothing fits me in regular patterns so I appreciate you sharing your SFD experience) and made quilts for years and am retired now waiting for my husband to retire. Finding you on YouTube has sure helped feel like when I worked and chatted with the girls at the office. You have such a great outlook and just make me laugh out loud sometimes.
      Blessings, Veronica

      Delete
  8. Hi Joy

    Your blouse looks great. Yes, it need some tweaking specific for you, You have several options for the back. Barbara suggestions may work, try and see. It appears that darts may work. Also, how about a princess cut for the back portion? Just a thought.

    Thanks for sharing. Love your blog and videos.

    Josie

    ReplyDelete

TO COMMENT: Scroll down a bit and find the word "comments". It may have a number in front of it. Click on it, and you will be able to leave a somment. I realize you have to choose Google, Facebook or Anonymous or ? to post a comment. If you choose "Anonymous", you will be able to post a comment, but please leave your first name in your comment so I know you aren't a machine.

I do enjoy receiving comments, especially, when they are to answer my questions!

Hugs, Joy