Saturday, January 21, 2012

New Nifty Notion and Carpet Is Up!

Check out the "Nifty Notions" section for my new pattern weight demo.  You will love them!!!

It is Saturday, 1-21-12, and I am back at my own home in Edmond.  Chico showed up at 7 AM this morning as promised, and I got so little sleep last night, I am teetering and tottering around.  Tried to take a nap, but my body thinks that is a terrible sin, and it will not allow me to do that.  I can't remember last time I took a nap.  I was in my 20's or had just had surgery and was drugged.  I was awake half the night trying to make sure I woke up on time even though I had my cell phone alarm set to loudly play Susan Boyle's song -- something about horses -- at 6:30 AM.  I was thinking of EXACTLY how they would rip up the carpet -- where would they start -- how many would come -- would they roll it up right -- would they be able to understand anything I said -- and on and on my mind rolled all night long. 

I got out of bed at 6:30 and thought to myself:  I'll just put a bra on and stay in my pajamas.  I'll wash my face, brush my teeth and run a comb through my matted hair, and I'll go make some coffee.  Now, this is something I never, ever do either.  Not even when it is just Jerry and me home alone.  But, I told myself, other people do it all the time.  Nobody cares if I'm in my pajamas or if I have my mascara on and my lipstick. 

Well, I ALMOST had myself convinced of all that until it was almost 7 AM and I knew Chico was going to be there any minute.  I thought.  OMG, I am in my pajamas.  I have to run and change.  So I ran into the closet that I use at Mom's house and put on a tee shirt and jeans.  I was just pulling on my pink and white striped, super fuzzy, soft socks I got at Sam's when I heard Chico's truck outside.  Whew!  That was close. 


Chico came alone.  His helper had some excuse.  Then he called another helper, and that helper was eating breakfast and couldn't come right then.   (See "Contractors" - lol)  Chico worked by himself from 7 AM to 8 AM pulling up part of the carpet by himself.  Then he left to go pick up a helper.  He got back at 9:00 with two helpers.  You never know if these Hispanic people speak English or not.  These guys were young -- of course, the whole world seems young when you are 61 years old -- but they were in their early 20's, I would say.  They seemed nice enough but the one young guy evidently, did not have time to put on a pair of pants with a working zipper, so he was wearing jeans with a broken zipper -- the fly gaping, but not too much, and the zipper pull hanging off one side at the bottom.  A lovely look, really.  At least, this guy had not wet his pants too! 

The routine was that the guys would pull the carpet up off the floor -- then they would roll it up like a giant snake -- then I would run over and wrap tape around both ends and label it with a Sharpie marker.  The roll of tape I had kept shredding, and I couldn't get a piece torn off right, so one of the guys took over that part.  All I had to do was write.  At one point I went into the living room while one of the young guys was taping up the end of a roll.  
 
I said to him, "What is your name?"

He said what sounded like, "Pencil".

I asked again, "What was that?"

He said, "Pencil".

I thought that sure was a weird name, so I repeated it.  Your name is "Pencil"????????

He looked at me and pointed to the marker in my hand.  He wanted me to label the tape on the roll of carpet.

I'm sure glad I didn't try to tell the guy his zipper was broken!


Really, they were all very nice and well-mannered.  I've decided I need to go buy one of those Spanish learning DVD's if I'm going to have any more remodeling done.

Better make some supper.  I'm going to bed early tonight.

Hugs, Joy

2 comments:

TO COMMENT: Scroll down a bit and find the word "comments". It may have a number in front of it. Click on it, and you will be able to leave a somment. I realize you have to choose Google, Facebook or Anonymous or ? to post a comment. If you choose "Anonymous", you will be able to post a comment, but please leave your first name in your comment so I know you aren't a machine.

I do enjoy receiving comments, especially, when they are to answer my questions!

Hugs, Joy