Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Slow Internet and Elliptical Shopping

 
The internet around here is still not right.  Sometimes, it works at high speed -- like it is supposed to -- and other times it slows down to CRAWL speed.  Sandra Betzina speaks very slooooooowly and other videos just pause and never start up again.  It is SO FRUSTRATING.  AT&T is sending someone out tomorrow between 8 and noon to see if they can figure out the problem.  Maybe they'll send someone who knows what he is doing this time.  I'll just believe for a miracle and try to be positive.  I am smiling here.
I am SURE AT&T will send someone wonderful out, and he will know immediately what is causing all these problems, and fix them.  YES!  That sounds a lot better.

That happened to me years ago with my copier.  I worked at home in a bedroom office in those days, and I had a full size copier in it.  I don't remember what it did now, but it was broken.  The company I bought it from had sent out several repair techs, and none of them had any idea what was wrong.  They each suggested something different that might be the cause, and the fix was going to cost more than the machine.  The Manager even came to my house and tried to fix it, but couldn't.

One day, this darling guy named David showed up to see if he could fix the copier.  He wasn't assigned to my geographical area, but I guess they sent him since everybody else had already been there and had failed to fix the problem. 

David was a young man -- nice looking -- very friendly -- and he looked me in the eye when he talked to me and he actually LISTENED when I spoke to him.  We ended up being good friends.  Anyway, David walked in my office.  He tried to make a copy, and whatever was broken did its thing.  He said, "Let me run out to my truck."  He came back in the house with a tiny little part.  He opened up the machine -- put in the tiny little part -- and it worked perfectly!  I don't think he even charged me for whatever the part was because it was so cheap, and he just had it in his truck.  From that point on, I NEVER let anyone come fix my machine but him.  He came to our store for years until he went to work for some other company, and they transferred him far away.

So what did I do today?  I met Phylly for lunch at our favorite hang-out:  TGI Friday's.  We are "known" there, if you know what I mean.  We get special treatment, and we like that.  The only bad part about meeting Phylly for lunch is she always has to go back to work -- and she did.  I decided to go check out Ellipticals.  I am not able to walk on my very nice treadmills because they cause lower back pain.  A Chiropractor told me years ago not to walk on them, but after the pain goes away, I always try again.  The pain comes back, and I have to quit.  AARRGGHH!!!  So I decided that maybe an Elliptical -- which I have never used and didn't like at any of the spas I used to belong to -- might be the solution.

Any time I am going to invest in an expensive something, I always do internet research.  That is one really great thing about the internet.  It appears that a brand called "Sole" is suppose to be the latest and the greatest.  Sears sells them, so that is where I headed.  Zachary waited on me.  I asked him about the NordicTracks.  He said they hardly ever sell them because everyone wants the Sole after he shows them the reviews on the Ipad he carries with him.  So I tried out all the Sole's they had on the floor.  At first, I thought my legs were going to break as it was such an uncomfortable movement for me, but my legs adjusted after a while.  I got on every one they had, and I decided that the Sole probably was the most smooth and comfortable.  ONLY they are soooooooooooo big!  Bigger than a treadmill.  I don't have that much space unless I get rid of my longarm, and that isn't going to happen any time soon.  I decided to put the idea of buying an Elliptical aside for now, and I came back home.

It was very cloudy all day long, and I just couldn't get excited about doing anything after that.  My sister, Judy, called twice today, and we talked.  That was nice.  Janice emailed and said she enjoyed the blog pics from yesterday.  Hopefully, I will wake up to SUNSHINE in the morning, and will feel like sewing something.  I really am motivated by sunshine.  Cloudy days make me sleepy and lethargic.  VERY unusual for me.
It's 10:30 pm.  The wind is howling outside my window.  Think I'll crawl under the covers, and call it a day.

Hugs, Joy

3 comments:

  1. Joy,

    I so enjoy reading your blog. I have a piece of my two cents too interject here....
    Three years ago my GYN told me post menopause wasn't an excuse he was buying and I needed to lose weight. He wanted me to go "somewhere anywhere and sweat for 30 minutes three times a week." I told a friend and she insisted I buy a Wii and Wii Fit. I did and had such fun using the Wii Fit, I lost 31 pounds and am still using it consistently, I use the Wii as my scale. A new Wii U is coming out in November and new Wii Fit U is coming out December 31, 2012.
    So instead of a treadmill maybe a Wii Fit is an option.
    Oh, I am 54 years old and Hubs and I challenge each other on the Wii Fit all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you believe I OWN Wii Fit. I used to do it every day. Problem is I have two homes, and I haul so much back and forth now, it is rediculous. Two cats. All my jewelry-making bags and boxes. Sewing boxes. Ice chests.

    Right now, part of the Wii is here at this house and the Scale is at the other house! THANKS for reminding me though. I definitely will gather up all the pieces and plug that sucker back in! GREAT IDEA!

    Hugs, Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope they did send someone to fix the problem right away. It’s very frustrating when the internet connection goes from normal to barely working. While it’s perfectly understandable that a slow connection could be inevitable, that doesn’t mean you have to put up with it all the time.

    Clara Brooks @ Telco World

    ReplyDelete

TO COMMENT: Scroll down a bit and find the word "comments". It may have a number in front of it. Click on it, and you will be able to leave a somment. I realize you have to choose Google, Facebook or Anonymous or ? to post a comment. If you choose "Anonymous", you will be able to post a comment, but please leave your first name in your comment so I know you aren't a machine.

I do enjoy receiving comments, especially, when they are to answer my questions!

Hugs, Joy